Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Review: "Sorry, Bro" by Taleen Voskuni
Sorry, Bro by Taleen Voskuni
Published January 2023 via Berkley
★★★
When Nar's boyfriend proposes, the answer should be easy. Instead she more or less faints and runs away—a surefire sign that something is not going quite to plan. And while he's willing to wait (and to try to make a German American out of her?), Nar is finally willing to accept her mother's pleas to explore her Armenian heritage...and perhaps meet some nice Armenian men along the way. Emphasis on men. No women. Definitely not.
This is somewhere between three and four stars for me, and I suspect that the cover is pushing it up. I like the romantic interest and I like the emphasis on cultural heritage—I picked this up in large part because I don't think I've read any other novels dealing with Armenian-American identity—and I like that Nar lives at home as an adult and is perfectly happy doing so. But...I don't know if I really see the connection between Nar and Erebuni, beyond of course hormones, and I'd have loved to know a bit more about Erebuni's background and why she is so invested in her heritage—it flavors just about everything she does, and as the book goes on it becomes clear that all things Armenian will soon flavor Nar's life as well. And...that's both a selling point for me (learning things about other cultures, yay) and something that feels as though the entire goal of the book is to remind people that there is more to Armenia than genocide. So...hit, miss, and quite a bit in between.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: "The Tyranny of Thinness" by Céline Leboeuf
The Tyranny of Thinness by Céline Leboeuf Published October 2026 via North Atlantic Books ★★★ Part memoir, part philosophy: In The Tyranny o...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.