Mandy by Julie Edwards
First published 1971
★★★★
I've been in a mood to reread some childhood favorites this year, partly so that I have a record of them later on (too easy to forget what books you read two years ago, let alone twenty or thirty years ago!). Mandy is one of those—a girl at an orphanage, with basically a decent life but desperate for the security of family, for a home of her own. (Also, if I'm honest, I always loved this because we called my grandmother Mandy.) In a lot of ways this feels very idealised (not to paint all orphanages with one brush, but...I doubt orphanages in the 60s or 70s were as cheerful, supportive, and laissez-faire as the one described here), but I think there's something terribly universal in dreaming of a place of one's own—which Mandy seeks, and finds in various ways, here. I'd forgotten how few of the other characters at the orphanage are described in any detail (it's really only one other girl Mandy's age, plus some adults), but overall the book has stood up well to the test of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Children's books: Deutsch II: "Ein Herz für Elefanten", "Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder", und "Bagger Bens Tag am Meer"
Ein Herz für Elefanten von R.G. de Rouen Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder von Michelle Müller-Nagy (Verlag Monika Fuchs) Bagger Bens Tag am Me...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.