The Invention of Romance by Conni Massing
Published 2017 via Playwrights Canada Press
★★★
A quick play read: I was intrigued by the description, about Kate (the play's heroine) curating "a museum exhibit about the history of romance and love", but it turns out that other than a few surprise references to Eleanor of Aquitaine there's very little about that history and quite a bit about Kate going on disappointing online-dating dates and expressing very basic views about the greatest romantic movies of all time. (Pretty sure by "of all time" she means "that came out during my formative years", but okay.)
Ultimately, this felt a lot like a romcom, just in theatre form rather than cinema form. That's fine, of course, but neither what I was really expecting nor what I'm really looking for in plays. (But then, not what I'm usually looking for in movies, either!) Perhaps a better fit, to read or to watch, for those more invested in romcoms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: "Like Glass" by Jen Ferguson
Like Glass by Jen Ferguson Published October 2026 via Heartdrum ★★★★ Just over a year ago, Tatum's sister died—suddenly, unexpectedly. H...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.