Embrace Your Size by Hara
Translated from the Japanese by Alethea Nibley
Published November 2022 via Yen Press
★★★
Interesting look at body image (and insecurities, and positivity) in the context of Japan. I love the illustrations here—manga, which is hit or miss for me (often solely due to personal preference), but Hara conveys a lot in simple sketches, and a lot of the drawings are super cute. For the most part good messages throughout. That said, I found the book very repetitive—I think it may have been written as a series of standalone pieces, but in any case a lot of the stories/plot points were repeated over and over again.
I haven't been to Japan, but everything I've heard suggests that it's even harder there to be plus-sized than it is in the West. Hara touches on this a couple of times (in the context of wondering how things are different in other countries, and observing that for many fat women there are more clothing options in the West); I'd have loved to see the repetition trimmed out and the extra space given to some research on the subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Children's books: Deutsch II: "Ein Herz für Elefanten", "Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder", und "Bagger Bens Tag am Meer"
Ein Herz für Elefanten von R.G. de Rouen Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder von Michelle Müller-Nagy (Verlag Monika Fuchs) Bagger Bens Tag am Me...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.