My Childhood Experience of Anorexia Nervosa and How I Recovered by Clare Purkiss
Published November 2022
★★
A very short memoir. The writing is solid, but there just isn't enough here—though Kindle put this at 83 pages, I'd put it closer to 30 (double-spaced) pages. I wouldn't usually track something so short, but I like to have an account of my Kindle Unlimited reads.
So more of an essay than anything, tracking Purkiss's experience through illness at a young age but simply without the space for a complex story. Might be a fit for younger readers who find themselves trying to recover and looking for a "been there, done that" (though: I will note that it isn't really a "how I managed" book, again simply because there isn't space for real interrogation of experience and thought), but not really the book for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Children's books: Deutsch II: "Ein Herz für Elefanten", "Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder", und "Bagger Bens Tag am Meer"
Ein Herz für Elefanten von R.G. de Rouen Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder von Michelle Müller-Nagy (Verlag Monika Fuchs) Bagger Bens Tag am Me...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.