Tradwife by Michelle Brandon
Published August 2026 via Avon a
★★★
In Crystal Harbor, the men are the breadwinners and the women are the homemakers, and every woman knows better than to step foot outside without her hair done and her bloodred lipstick in place like armor. (The men—they by and large do what they want to do.) But of course things are not always as they seem.
Tradwife follows a handful of women from this community: Miranda is the mayor's wife, determined to run this town...one way or another. Ariel used to be an actress, and maybe she still is, but now her acting skills all go straight into her influencing career. And Jennifer used to have it all, but since her divorce, she's been pushed out by her former friends and is struggling to stay financially afloat. And then there's Tara...
I'm intrigued by the recent rise of the tradwife thriller, so when I saw this I knew it was a must. This is the fourth I've read so far, and somehow of those four it's the first one that doesn't involve a podcaster or journalist trying to find the truth under the tradwife façade. (Ariel is an influencer, and Jennifer starts going public on social media early on in the book, but this isn't the same as someone coming in from the outside; everything that happens in the book stays within the Crystal Harbor community.)
Winning at Crystal Harbor wasn't about playing fair. It was about playing flawlessly. (loc. 1133*)
For all that this is a tradwife book, and the town is deathly determined to be dry and saccharine sweet, the characters here are...well, they know that what is on the outside is not what is on the inside, and if 95% of the women in town do not have something hidden under the sink or in the closet, I'd be very surprised. Miranda in particular is determined to use her position as the holier-than-thou head honcho (or head honcho's wife, but...she knows better) to stir shit up...it's only the shape that that will take that is uncertain. Few of these characters are easy to root for (though some are less pleasant than others), and the ulterior motives are strong.
There's a lot of twisting near the end of the book, some of which I found more predictable than others. I would have liked a bit more of the in-between story; there's a then and a now, but not much, even at the end, to tell us how we got there. And: The tradwife lifestyle is thin, here. I'm genuinely curious to read books about the whole #tradwife thing (horrified, but also curious), but I don't actually think this shows much of it; mostly we see the characters figuring out how best to be awful to each other in a very Southern, smile-while-you're-insulting-someone way. Intriguing, but a low three stars for me.
And now on to the next tradwife thriller...
*Quotes are from an ARC and may not be final.
Thanks to the author and publisher for providing a review copy through NetGalley.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: "Tradwife" by Michelle Brandon
Tradwife by Michelle Brandon Published August 2026 via Avon a ★★★ In Crystal Harbor, the men are the breadwinners and the women are the home...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.