The Rise and Fall of the Non-trad Wife by Natasha Ansari
Published June 2025
★★★
I recently went down a rabbit hole that started with a tradwife murder mystery and kind of...went from there. This came up in my search, and I couldn't tell whether or not it was about, well, tradwives (women voluntarily staying at home and, like...being 1950s housewives, but in the 2020s?). But it was on Kindle Unlimited, and I make questionable reading choices when I temporarily have Kindle Unlimited, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Now: This was not the sort of tradwife story I was looking for. That's just as well (because tradwife life sounds terrible, and I wouldn't wish it upon Ansari or almost anyone else), but I'll just put that up front in case the title raised questions for anyone else. But this is a story of expectation vs. reality: Ansari got married in part because that was the societal expectation, and over time she found that what she wanted and expected out of marriage was not what her marriage looked like, and not what it was going to look like. And: that she was going to feel more like herself if not in this marriage.
This is one for readers who have followed convention and then realized that convention isn't, or isn't entirely, for them. It wasn't what I was looking for, but that's not a fault of the book (I was looking for something pretty specific!), but it's a very fast read. Here's hoping that Ansari's life looks more like one that she wants now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Children's books: Deutsch II: "Ein Herz für Elefanten", "Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder", und "Bagger Bens Tag am Meer"
Ein Herz für Elefanten von R.G. de Rouen Sturmgefühle, Schattenbilder von Michelle Müller-Nagy (Verlag Monika Fuchs) Bagger Bens Tag am Me...
-
The Ferryman and His Wife by Frode Grytten, translated from the Norwegian by Alison McCullough Published November 2025 via Algonquin Books ★...
-
The Keeper by Tana French Published March 2026 via Viking ★★★★ Book three—of three—in the Cal Hooper series. Time has passed: Trey is growin...
-
Three Ordinary Girls by Tim Brady Published February 2021 via Citadel Press ★★★ For all that I've heard about the strength of the Dutch ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.