Saturday, August 1, 2026

Review: Short story: "The Cairndale Orphan" by J.M. Miro

The Cairndale Orphan by J.M. Miro
The Cairndale Orphan by J.M. Miro
Published July 2026 via Amazon Original Stories


Something is wrong in London, and Bromley knows it. A friend is missing, a school up north has burned down, and a child has turned up looking for help. Bromley just doesn't know how complicated things might get before they improve.

This is one of a collection of stories full of mysteries and magic and, in this case at least, monsters. It's been interesting to see some of the differences and similarities across the stories; they're all by different authors and with different settings (some more overtly magical than others, some more contemporary than others); this and another one both feature animal herds at crucial moments.

I like the complexity built in here, including that one character is queer. It's a time and place that is not so kind to queerness, but it stays a mostly understated part of the story (acknowledgement of potential for danger, but the focus stays elsewhere), which is nice. If I understand correctly, though, this is a standalone story set in the established world of the author's other books, and though it can comfortably be read without having read those books (I am living proof!), I think I would have enjoyed this more with that deeper history and context. A decent quick read, but one best enjoyed as part of a larger parcel.

Thanks to the author and publisher for providing a review copy through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Review: Short story: "The Cairndale Orphan" by J.M. Miro

The Cairndale Orphan by J.M. Miro Published July 2026 via Amazon Original Stories Something is wrong in London, and Bromley knows it. A frie...