Sunday, August 2, 2026

Review: Short story: "A Labyrinth of Honeybees" by Heather Fawcett

A Labyrinth of Honeybees by Heather Fawcett
A Labyrinth of Honeybees by Heather Fawcett
Published July 2026 via Amazon Original Stories


The gods are going to do what the gods are going to do. In this short story, a priestess-come-groundskeeper is faced with an unexpected challenger—the king's inquisitioner, who wants access to the goddess's temple. And that's <i>before</i> things get complicated.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Short stories are a great way to try out an author I'm not familiar with. I don't read tons of fantasy, but it's fun to drop into a world like this, one with twisting hedge mazes and buzzing bees and, oh, just a little bit of danger. Our narrator knows her role, and if her nerves aren't made of steel, well, she hides it well.

The story feels about the right length, though what I'd really like is to read a full-length book from the princess's point of view (actually...will have to check the author's backlist to see if that exists already). Lots of complex characters here, and lots of competing priorities. Short and satisfying.

Thanks to the author and publisher for providing a review copy through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Review: Short story: "A Labyrinth of Honeybees" by Heather Fawcett

A Labyrinth of Honeybees by Heather Fawcett Published July 2026 via Amazon Original Stories The gods are going to do what the gods are going...